November 18, 2016
Rotary International Multinational Manila (RIMM), Local Council for the Protection of Children (LCPC) under municipality of Alfonso, Cavite and Kiwanis Alfonso conducted a Teenage Pregnancy Forum at the Alfonso National High School, Cavite.
One hundred (100) students from Grade 7 to 9 actively participated in the forum. Six (6) resource speakers shared their insights during the forum. Several video presentation on Teenage Pregnancy in the Philippines caught attention of the young students.
Some of the questions asked during the open forum from the curios minds of the young students were:
1. Why is there a rise in Teenage Pregnancy?
2. Can the government help to stop the high rate of Teenage Pregnancy in the Philippines?
3. Why is it that the risk of maternal death is high in a teenage mother?
4. Why are teens still giving birth despite the high poverty in the country?
5. If a father molests his own child and the mother knows about it where can the victim get help?
6. How does a teen mother get cervical cancer?
7. What if a girl gets pregnancy by her boyfriend but her parents dislike him?
8. Does the government assist a teenage mother financially?
9. How difficult is it to be a teenage mother?
10. What are the health risks of a teenage mother?
11. Why is it that most young male teens are eager to have sex?
12. What laws do we have to protect young rape victims?
At the end of the forum the students seem to have raised their awareness and hopefully it helped preventing them from become victims of teenage pregnancy. The students said they will share the vital information they have learned in the said forum to other students in their class room session.