A MRF (Material Recovery Facility), which our club and Academy of World Healing Foundation funded, has been constructed in Barangay Sicat in April 2018.
The barangay MRF Fund has been established and it collects monthly dues (P1,000 – P2,000) from commercial establishment in barangay Sicat, Alfonso, Cavite. After several months, Alfonso municipal dumpsite was closed down and MENRO (Municipal Environment and Natural Resources Office) has dispatched dump trucks to Laguna dumpsite ever since. As a result, pick up from some barangays were less frequently prioritized and barangay Sicat MRF had accumulated a large volume of garbage inside.
Past President Casey Takayama talked with Engineer Malou Tibayan at Alfonso Municipality and learned the followings:
- All garbage from Alfonso have been picked up and transported to Laguna dump site at P20,000 per dump.
- Alfonso Municipality has contracted with a hauler including Laguna dump site fee of P7,500 per dump, gasoline, truck and labor. Other municipalities pay P20,000 – P25,000.
- Trash pickup is 5 days a week, i.e. every working day, costing P100,000 a week, approx. P6 million a year.
- Engineer Tibayan is willing to install a heat processor that turns combustible trash into ashes without any smoke nor dioxin with over 1,000 degree Celsius. She mentioned that Silang Municipality is studying to buy a heat processor from India.
- A year spending of the dumping expense (approx. P6 million) can already purchase a heat processor. RIMM will assist in researching about sources of heat processors.