On August 19, 2016 our club (RIMM: Rotary International Multi-national Manila) conducted a Teenage Pregnancy Forum at the Lucsuhin National High School, Alfonso, Cavite, Philippines. Resource speakers of The Local Council for the Protection of Children (LCPC), Kiwanis and Values Formation and Spiritual Transformation Council, Inc. (VFSTCI) shared their insights to the students and Health teachers. More than 50 teenage students from Grades 7 to 9 participated in the forum.
Resource speakers in the forum were:
1. Past President Raymund Balicha of RIMM
2. Betty Vicedo of RIMM
3. Gina Vedan of LCPC
4. Anacoleta Alcazar of LCPC
5. Pastor Nestor Sindac of VFSTCI
6. Anna Liza of Kiwanis
A series of documentary video presentation were shown where the students reacted to the reality of a young teenage Filipina mother experiencing a painful birth and facing the reality of financial difficulties and all other disadvantages of being a teenage mother.
In the open forum the Resource Speakers answered the questions of the student enumerated below :
1. Why is it that we find it difficult to open up to our parents about our problems?
2. How do we still prevent pregnancy during sex?
3. How do i know if a man has an intention to have sex with me when we are together?
4. Why are there teenagers who get pregnant and cannot wait for the right time in their life?
5. What are the signs that a girl is pregnant?
6. Why are there young teens who have sex even if they know the risk of it?
7. There is an increase in teenage pregnancies ages 12-19 who also commit abortion. Have you encountered any teenage mother who committed abortion?
8. How can a relationship be accepted by our parents?
9. Why are teenagers in heat in having sex?
10. Is it safe to have sex during menstruation?
11. What the signs that are girl is not virgin?
12. What is Cervical Cancer?
Lucsuhin National High School Principal Perlita Villanueva was grateful to RIMM for conducting a Teenage Pregnancy Forum at their school since their rate of teenage pregnancy is alarmingly increasing. The Health teachers and the students who participated in the forum will share what they have learned to all of the other students during their Health subject. After the well-participated forum RIMM shouldered the snacks of all the participants.
The next Teenage Pregnancy Forum will be at the Alfonso National High School. I will announce the date upon confirmation from the school.